One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ordinary sheet for a bed as distinct from a fitted one.
- ‘On the eye-level shelf, fitted double sheets lie in one pile, single flat sheets in another, pillowcases in a third.’
- ‘Sandwich the folded fitted sheet and pillowcases inside the folded flat sheet.’
- ‘It's got a center of ivory highlighted with the small floral pattern around the edges which matches the flat sheet perfectly.’
- ‘Select flat sheets in the closest size to the air mattress to guarantee a snug fit.’
- ‘Buy a flat sheet, cut a slit on each side of the top hem and slide a dowel rod through it.’
- ‘When he awoke, there were flat sheets where his right foot would have been, and the other leg was a doomed mess with several fractures.’
- ‘Two fitted cot sheets, two flat sheets plus two cellular blankets are best (duvets are not recommended for babies under one year old), and a basic set should cost about £40.’
- ‘To showcase the design of your flat sheet, lay it pattern-side down and fold the top edge over your quilt or comforter to display the pattern.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.