One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Shining in a bright but brief, sudden, or intermittent way.‘a police car with a flashing light’
A strip of metal used to stop water from penetrating the junction of a roof with another surface.‘flashings around chimneys’‘the lead flashing on the roof’
- ‘It was also used for roof flashings and weights for scales.’
- ‘Also check eaves, verges and ridges, and make sure that mortar, pointing and lead flashings are all in place around a chimney.’
- ‘The coping, flashings and most of the rendering would need to be removed.’
- ‘Site-built or factory-supplied flashings are used to seal the roofing around the curb.’
- ‘The trapped water may accumulate to levels higher than the roof flashings, resulting in water leaks.’
Late 18th century: from the earlier synonym flash (of unknown origin) + -ing.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.