One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device which gives a brief flash of intense light, used for taking photographs indoors or in poor light.
- ‘After the two sat down, the Pope smiled and brought his hands to his lap, shielding it from photographers' flashguns in a joking gesture.’
- ‘But the frenzy of camera clicks and flashguns was as nothing compared to the arrival of the main event moments later.’
- ‘I had no chance of out-swimming the beast, so I braced for impact while stabbing the water between us with the large flashgun on my camera.’
- ‘I'm low on air and on my way back towards the ladder when I see Fred's flashguns blazing in the distance.’
- ‘As usual please bring your cameras, tripods, flashguns, etc for what promises to be a most informative and enjoyable session.’
- ‘Luckily, on close inspection I found the only damage to be a crack in the diffuser on one of the flashguns.’
- ‘I switched my flashguns off and held my camera steady for a slow shutter exposure.’
- ‘The members on the forum can discuss individual camera models, lenses, flashguns, film, tripods and paper.’
- ‘From out of the blue, a posse of divers with flashguns blazing descends on the scene.’
- ‘There were times when to raise it to my eye would subject the flashgun to the passing current and rip me from my hiding place.’
- ‘A flashgun was introduced and I began to get something that was, to my eye at least, quite reasonable.’
- ‘Knowing the voltage of electricity provided will help you come suitably equipped to recharge your lamps, camcorders and flashguns.’
- ‘You will have an SLR, some lenses, some filters, a flashgun and even a tripod.’
- ‘Tyson himself sits, placid, in the undulating waves of white light produced by ranks of flashguns.’
- ‘It is best to carry electrical or electronic items as hand luggage, including lamps, cameras, flashguns, computers and even batteries.’
- ‘Many thanks must go everyone (especially Sam) for the countless times they have endured my faffing around setting up flashguns.’
- ‘I had also talked Sam into taking a large flashgun down in order to try and get a good picture of Mark descending the shaft.’
- ‘Now, to get around this problem, professional photographers will often use a flashgun mounted off to the side of the camera.’
- ‘The 15 kg on my belt was nothing compared to the 34 kg on my back, and the big camera housing and heavy flashgun didn't make things any easier.’
- ‘I make 30 exposures, my flashguns lighting up the fray, a turmoil of thrashing tails and boiling sand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.