Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Fiction that is extremely brief, typically only a few hundred words or fewer in its entirety.
- ‘Flash fiction in general allows for satisfying stories that are told rather than shown.’
- ‘Such minimalism may always be viewed as a shortcoming in longer fiction, but for flash fiction, it's a perfect fit.’
- ‘The novel is Barnes's first foray into the genre after a long flirtation with flash fiction and the longer short story.’
- ‘To tell a story of character in flash fiction clearly poses special challenges.’
- ‘And flash fiction fits into all sorts of reading spaces.’
- ‘Here is tonight's effort, a flash fiction piece of 900 words.’
- ‘One of the pleasures of good flash fiction is that it packs a lot into a small package.’
- ‘Most of the stories in this collection are flash fiction, though there are some short-shorts and a couple full short stories.’
- ‘If you're writing flash fiction, the problem may be a leaky faucet that keeps the protagonist awake.’
- ‘Another technique that the writer can use in flash fiction is to write the story about a character that the reader already knows well.’
- ‘Naturally, this sort of gradual revelation of character can't work in flash fiction.’
- ‘The first follows naturally on the previous topic of how short flash fiction can be: How long can we make flash fiction?’
- ‘This plot structure question and gradual answer works well for longer narratives, and it can work for flash fiction, too.’
- ‘Flash fiction can simply focus on a character who is interesting to observe for a few paragraphs.’
- ‘Readers can be forgiven for thinking that it's flash fiction.’
- ‘However, there are two ways in which writers of flash fiction can nonetheless focus on event as the primary element of a story.’
- ‘What would it mean to have a successful career in flash fiction?’
- ‘And don't get me started on the awesomeness of flash fiction.’
- ‘In writing news, I have submitted my flash fiction to an online magazine.’
- ‘The form par excellence for online journals, flash fiction is quickly establishing itself as a form to be reckoned with.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.