Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Freeze (food or other material) rapidly so as to prevent the formation of ice crystals.‘the steaks were flash-frozen’
- ‘Samples were flash-frozen in liquid nitrogen and stored at - 80°C.’
- ‘Exotic fish are being caught, processed, flash-frozen and fed to restaurants in the United States.’
- ‘In some cases, vegetables that are flash-frozen right on the farm, then packaged and shipped within a day of picking, are a better choice.’
- ‘Crystals were flash-frozen with liquid nitrogen, using the mother liquor as cryoprotectant.’
- ‘At the appropriate ages, mice were sacrificed by CO 2 asphyxiation followed by cervical dislocation, and tissues were immediately dissected, flash-frozen in liquid nitrogen, and stored at - 80°.’
- ‘Seeing an opportunity, Birdseye began to experiment with flash-freezing various foods and, in 1922, started his first food-service company, Birdseye Seafoods.’
- ‘Each sample was flash-frozen at - 40°C to obtain small ice crystals, warmed until all but one ice crystal had melted, and then cooled to observe the shape of the single ice crystal as it grew.’
- ‘It's flash-frozen shortly after being caught, so it can be even fresher-tasting than a never-frozen counterpart that has languished during shipping.’
- ‘Claw Island lobsters are cooked and flash-frozen as soon as they are trapped.’
- ‘Through flash-freezing of specimens and use of a low-temperature scanning electron microscope, scientists have obtained images of mites caught in the act of feeding.’
- ‘As the craft forcibly repressurized, everything loose began to tumble outward, to be cooked, flash-frozen, and crushed all at once by the conflicting forces.’
- ‘It recently began marketing 12 Garden Harvest herbs, spices, and blends that have been flash-frozen and vacuum-dried at harvest, preserving their essential oils.’
- ‘In fact, the only good fish is one that has been netted, flayed, chopped, re-molded into a fish-shaped rectanguloid, fried, flash-frozen, shipped across the country and then re-heated to perfection.’
- ‘There are also select areas used to flash-freeze items that aren't frozen.’
- ‘Supported lipid bilayers were assembled on an oxidized silicon substrate, then flash-frozen and freeze-dried to preserve their lateral organization.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.