One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lengthy exchange of angry or abusive messages between users of an online forum or other discussion area.
- ‘A flame war and a face-to-face argument are two very different things.’
- ‘It is always best to avoid these situations when you see a flame war is about to start as nothing constructive comes of them.’
- ‘As a courtesy to your fellow Netizens, don't contribute to a troller's bait or a flame war.’
- ‘I'll bet those quotes were cut and pasted from an IRC channel during a teenage geek flame war.’
- ‘This conversation has almost turned out into a fully fledged flame war.’
- ‘The irony is that if two users in a flame war met face to face, they would most likely get on famously, especially as the heat of debate is far easily settled across a table than across a cable.’
- ‘How can this be done without incurring the wrath of an angry e-mail flame war?’
- ‘According to Martin, every now and then a flame war erupts over German usage, and it gets just as virulent as with English.’
- ‘Don't get in flame wars on Usenet (or anywhere else).’
- ‘There was a huge flame war which I think split Dr Who fandom permanently over whether the novels were canon, btw.’
- ‘The huge surface area of all these worlds of programming leads to pointless flame wars over whose world is better.’
- ‘Sometimes these exchanges produce flame wars, sometimes mutual understanding.’
- ‘And finding what you want in a text-based cacophony of spam, flame wars and off-topic nonsense can be maddening.’
- ‘Without the visual cues we get in face-to-face conversation, flame wars could erupt.’
- ‘Some flame wars become so serious that they end with members being banned from chat rooms or message boards.’
- ‘After the initial ambush, the discussion tends to turn into a brief flame war over the semantics of the quote - even though the gist is unchanged.’
- ‘Anyway, I have no wish to get into a flame war so I'll get to my point now.’
- ‘A flame war quickly erupted, with people on all sides of the issue exchanging emails.’
- ‘However, after spam and flame wars became rampant, and the deteriorating signal/noise ratio began to threaten the list's viability, moderation was introduced.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.