Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat stone slab, typically rectangular or square, used for paving.
paving slab, paving stone, stone block, slab, flag, settView synonyms
- ‘A mosaic of paving stones, red flagstones, cobblestones, and sandstone lintels salvaged from a demolished school form the paving and low walls.’
- ‘At least one criminal gang is targeting properties in Oldham and stealing items like roof slates, coping stones, flagstones and walls.’
- ‘Although steps must be mortared for safety, pavers and flagstones on level ground can be dry-laid in sand, which allows water and oxygen to reach tree roots below.’
- ‘I leaned against the glass door of the telephone booth, staring at fat, perfect raindrops bouncing off the shining flagstones of the square.’
- ‘The convincing patterns of paving bricks or flagstones left behind look great and come at a fraction of the trouble of the real thing.’
- ‘Within its walls, a flagstone terrace and spa are connected by two gravel-covered terraces.’
- ‘The pathways are paved with flagstones or crushed stones.’
- ‘Moss stands in for a lawn, and painstakingly placed stone chips form a flagstone path.’
- ‘I stepped from the chip stones, onto the flagstone paving which led around the side of the house, I turned the corner to see the most amazing garden!’
- ‘To create the illusion of a dry-stacked wall, which also would have been typical of that time period, he used recessed mortar to hold the flagstone in place.’
- ‘Around the doors, carved into the stone walls and the flagstones at his feet, are a series of immense concentric circles.’
- ‘He ran a sinuous path of flagstones down the center of the yard, and built a pavilion at the back of the yard.’
- ‘Sometimes, a layer of mortar and brick or flagstone can be placed on top of an old slab, yielding a very attractive and properly sloped surface.’
- ‘Surrounding the slab is a flagstone patio with Japanese black pebbles in the cracks.’
- ‘A husband-and-wife team designed and built this ambitious kidney bean-shaped deck, which is located away from their house, adjacent to a flagstone patio and overlooking a garden pond.’
- ‘The use of flagstones is made simple by applying a load of sand or gravel to the subsoil and digging the flagstones into the sand or gravel.’
- ‘In addition, several thousand square feet of flagstone paving were used for the pool area and sidewalks.’
- ‘A street stretches out in front of me, stone flagstones spreading ahead of me like a carpet welcoming me into the town.’
- ‘Even for a novice do-it-yourselfer, installing a mortarless flagstone path is a practically foolproof project.’
- ‘A small outdoor space means every inch must count, so we made sure there was a variety of activity zones, including raised planting beds, a sandbox, and a compact flagstone patio.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.