One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of making a public display to promote the interests of one's country, or of another organization or group.
- ‘A wave of flag-flying patriotism swept England to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations and the arrival of the national football team at the World Cup.’
- ‘Crew members from HMS Richmond ended 2003 with flag-flying visits to the north of England.’
- ‘Lynn also has an important flag-flying role for the council, helping to spread the word about the area at public and group exhibitions.’
- ‘The much-vaunted revival of US patriotism was also very different to previous displays of flag-flying - people huddling together in grief and fear, not celebrating their national pride.’
- ‘Victory parades and flag-flying welcome-home celebrations enabled the flu to spread rapidly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.