One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of making a public display to promote the interests of one's country, or of another organization or group.
- ‘Crew members from HMS Richmond ended 2003 with flag-flying visits to the north of England.’
- ‘The much-vaunted revival of US patriotism was also very different to previous displays of flag-flying - people huddling together in grief and fear, not celebrating their national pride.’
- ‘Victory parades and flag-flying welcome-home celebrations enabled the flu to spread rapidly.’
- ‘Lynn also has an important flag-flying role for the council, helping to spread the word about the area at public and group exhibitions.’
- ‘A wave of flag-flying patriotism swept England to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations and the arrival of the national football team at the World Cup.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.