Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of making a public display to promote the interests of one's country, or of another organization or group.
- ‘A wave of flag-flying patriotism swept England to mark the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations and the arrival of the national football team at the World Cup.’
- ‘Victory parades and flag-flying welcome-home celebrations enabled the flu to spread rapidly.’
- ‘The much-vaunted revival of US patriotism was also very different to previous displays of flag-flying - people huddling together in grief and fear, not celebrating their national pride.’
- ‘Lynn also has an important flag-flying role for the council, helping to spread the word about the area at public and group exhibitions.’
- ‘Crew members from HMS Richmond ended 2003 with flag-flying visits to the north of England.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.