One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Denoting aircraft of the conventional type as opposed to those with rotating wings, such as helicopters.
- ‘In conventional fixed-wing aircraft the pilots have eye contact with the engines.’
- ‘If necessary, attack helicopters or fixed-wing strike aircraft could provide additional firepower.’
- ‘Helicopters have many more moving parts, and they vibrate more than fixed-wing aircraft, so parts wear out faster.’
- ‘News of the killing spread fast through the close-knit community and members of a nearby flying club offered to put both fixed-wing aircraft and a helicopter into the air to help in the search.’
- ‘In doing so, they lost 8588 fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.’
- ‘The missile is used primarily by the U.S. Marine Corps on both helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft.’
- ‘Analogizing gyroplanes with helicopters is a little surprising, considering that gyroplanes fly more like fixed-wing airplanes than helicopters.’
- ‘Six all-weather lifeboats, four helicopters, one fixed-wing aircraft and another 26 vessels joined the search in deteriorating conditions.’
- ‘This system is for fixed-wing and helicopter aircraft and is capable of detecting missile launches.’
- ‘In aviation there are two major kinds of aircraft: helicopters and fixed-wing airplanes.’
- ‘The eyes that penetrated most deeply into the Soviet sector were located in the helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft that flew the border.’
- ‘We performed our surveillance missions on the ground with jeep patrols and in the air with helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft.’
- ‘Methods include delivery by fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, artillery, or ground vehicles.’
- ‘Both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters are used in this type of surveying.’
- ‘The pilot held a commercial certificate with airplane single-engine land and helicopter ratings and an instrument rating for both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters.’
- ‘This missile homes in on the heat emitted by either jet- or propeller-driven fixed-wing aircraft or helicopters.’
- ‘It was replaced by the fixed-wing aircraft fitted with thermal imaging equipment allowing the crew to keep it in the air until that evening.’
- ‘As of March 6 the search was using 32 helicopters and nine fixed-wing aircraft; seven boats and underwater sonar units were searching lakes and reservoirs.’
- ‘It is designed for defence against both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters and can also fire on ground targets.’
- ‘He said the air guard would, in the first instance, have four helicopter gunships and several fixed-wing aircraft to provide both military support and additional surveillance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.