Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A group of five people.
quintet, quintupletsView synonyms
- ‘Everything ran like clockwork for the Irish fivesome who had to quickly move on to launches in Belfast, Edinburgh, Manchester and London.’
- ‘Within 24 hours, the fivesome meet in an even more unlikely twist of fate and trundle towards the film's forgettable denouement.’
- ‘The characters are caricatures, but they have clearly left room for development, and the fivesome's timing is faultless.’
- ‘Great news for all you crazy Westlife fans who like to go camping - the fabulous fivesome will be appearing in the flesh at HMV next Friday so get pitching your tents!’
- ‘The Irish country rocking fivesome may be laid back, but the band's debut album, So Much For The City, rapidly sold over half a million copies in the UK alone.’
- ‘Unlike the fivesome's debut, this record speaks not only to the pop-savvy nostalgia snobs, but to oblivious youth culture as well.’
- ‘Emerging from the Grimsby garage scene in 1996, the feisty fivesome recorded two albums - Comfort Zone in 1997, and Along The Way two years later.’
- ‘The crazy fivesome promise "a host of new songs and a finely tuned performance, punctuated by drunken buffoonery and priceless gems of wit and wisdom".’
- ‘The fivesome displayed a hard-driving pulse and yearning, clear vocals.’
- ‘Sources have hinted that there may be more dates added if the fivesome's shows sellout as quickly as they have in previous years.’
- ‘Originally from Sacramento and now based in New York, this fivesome makes moody rock textured with all manner of influences from dub reggae to funk.’
- ‘The brave fivesome allowed ShowBiz Ireland into their dressing room to observe the chaos which is their getting ready routine.’
- ‘The fivesome took a bus from the airport to the hotel and had a late lunch prior to my arrival at a one-star Chinese fast food restaurant located in a nearby strip center.’
- ‘The talented fivesome decided to play the final show of their tour in Dublin after filling venues across the UK, they also played a stomping set in Belfast the night before.’
- ‘Ike of course became an important figure in sports, joining Bobby Jones, Arnold Palmer and the Siamese twins, Bing Crosby and Bob Hope, in a fivesome that did the most to sell golf in America.’
- ‘Should you wish to discover the joys of this funky fivesome then you can do a lot worse than check out their recent singles and covers compilation.’
- ‘The much hyped New York fivesome are still riding high on the success of second LP Room On Fire and sold out this show in hours.’
- ‘Together, the fivesome looked like a bunch of university pass-outs meeting at a get together.’
- ‘We then attacked the red wine with the thirst of the fivesome we collectively are.’
- ‘With our fivesome it's like us against the world.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.