One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blend of five powdered spices, typically fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and peppercorns, used in Chinese cuisine.
- ‘A snow-white baby chicken we sampled was lacquered red with Malaysian soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, and five-spice powder.’
- ‘On the platter is Twice-cooked lamb chops flavoured with five-spice powder and stir-fried mushrooms and baby corn.’
- ‘Rub the salt, pepper and five-spice powder into the skin.’
- ‘The meat was tender and sweet, flavoured with five-spice.’
- ‘Here's the first one I tried - a simple dish of salmon rubbed with five-spice, that amazing Chinese spice blend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.