One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fixed item of furniture or piece of equipment, especially in a house.
- ‘Safety features may account for up to 15 per cent of the manufacturing cost of the vehicle and car manufacturers feel that it is not good for their bottom-lines to provide safety features as standard fitment.’
- ‘They were new and clean and well staffed, with modern fitments and a swimming pool, shops, a hairdresser, a library, good food and several bars.’
- ‘He said that there had been a removable shower fitment for attaching to a bath which had been bought to enable a particular person to wash their hair.’
- ‘It has long offered tamper - resistant caps and fitments, including dual systems.’
- ‘Put together a couple of kitchen fitments, buy a coffee machine and Bob's your uncle.’
- ‘For those who have money to spare, a range of moulded carpets, seat upholstery, headliners, matching door panels and dash pads are available as fitments.’
- ‘Much of the house has been untouched since the original fitments were put in in 1898.’
- ‘One of the games was the most beautiful game with multiple intricate brass fitments and little bells to ring as well as skittles to topple.’
- ‘This currently uses the standard turbo installation, which unlike some aftermarket turbo fitments looks neat enough to be an original factory fit.’
- ‘If it was standard fitment, however, the cost would be closer to $50 per car in high volumes.’
- ‘Basic safety and security is well managed, and fitments include powered front windows, a decent sound system, and cloth upholstery.’
- ‘New additions include innovative fitments like screw caps for gable-top cartons.’
- ‘The fitments have been vandalised and the flaking concrete of the buildings is smothered in graffiti.’
- ‘It was very similar in its fitments to the cabins we had had on the other ships, but more spacious and I had all the space to myself.’
- ‘Multiple sizes from 300 mm up to 1 metre, differing colours (blue, silver and black) and of course the different fitments make it quite versatile in its application.’
- ‘And you now have fitments with color-coded caps for a jazzier look, along with bigger labels and better graphics on gallons.’
- ‘It demonstrated that three fitments provided by Gill were faulty.’
- ‘But important as the laboratory fitments and the scientific staff were to the future success of the voyage there was another, larger, group on board that was arguably even more crucial.’
- ‘It is distinguished by the quality of its original fitments and by the way it has preserved its original multi-roomed character.’
- ‘It was new and was at first thought to have come from redecorating work, but it matched none of the fitments in the house at Albert Place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.