Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not regularly or continuously; intermittently.‘he slept fitfully’
intermittently, sporadically, spasmodically, irregularly, patchily, discontinuously, erratically, by fits and starts, in fits and starts, in snatchesvariably, unevenly, disconnectedly, unsteadily, on and off, off and onView synonyms
- ‘I had thought earlier that I might be able to get to sleep, but after 2 hours of trying fitfully, I am giving in.’
- ‘But they remain startlingly original, if only fitfully funny.’
- ‘The engine didn't so much pull as tug fitfully at the wheels.’
- ‘He is blessed as an autobiographer with an outstandingly strange and only fitfully happy childhood.’
- ‘I had also been sleeping fitfully and dreaming about the race all night.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.