An abnormal or surgically made passage between a hollow or tubular organ and the body surface, or between two hollow or tubular organs.
tube, conduit, hose, main, duct, line, channel, canal, conveyor, pipeline, drain, tubing, piping, siphon, cylinderView synonyms
- ‘However, if a serious duct injury is present, a chronic fistula may develop and require surgical intervention.’
- ‘Disease may also include chest wall invasion, with bony erosion, and draining cutaneous fistulas.’
- ‘Subsequent inflammation may result in a fistula between these structures and the passage of a gall stone into the bowel.’
- ‘He underwent surgical repair of an enterovesical fistula.’
- ‘The patient in this case study has a fistula in a concave area near his gastrostomy tube.’
Late Middle English: from Latin, pipe, flute, fistula Compare with fester.