One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, tapering rod to which a fishing line is attached, typically on a reel.
- ‘Quickly and happily, I went back to the truck to grab my fishing rod and some bait.’
- ‘She said her boys had fishing rods, a net and knives to clean the fish they caught.’
- ‘The arrival of the South-West Monsoon signals a season of fun with fishing rods, nets and baits for many in the city.’
- ‘It was stocked full of hand made fishing flies, lures, fishing rods, fly-tying material and reels.’
- ‘Then, he hoisted himself up beside her after reeling in his line and putting the fishing rod on the sturdy dock.’
- ‘A dedicated angler may spend more of his life holding his fishing rod, than he does holding his wife.’
- ‘He received a new fishing rod and reel instead for his efforts.’
- ‘You can attempt a land-based rescue using whatever is at hand - your fishing rod or landing net can be ideal implements to tow someone to the side.’
- ‘One aspect of the trip was the Norwegian disinfecting methods of all fishing equipment, waders, fishing rods, even flies and spinners.’
- ‘Police told her the thieves had put a fishing rod or something similar through the letterbox and hooked the car keys off the shelf, which was 8ft or 9ft from the front door.’
- ‘Entering the gallery, one saw four fishing rods bent over a large copper plate with some water on it.’
- ‘The floor is covered with mats made from enormous leaves; there are baskets and bags stacked along a wall; spears, fishing rods and harpoons are propped in a corner.’
- ‘There's an old man sitting on a float holding a fishing rod, to which is attached a small stuffed fish that he pretends to catch again and again.’
- ‘Customers can hire a fishing rod and bait and dangle it over the tank and try to catch their dinner.’
- ‘There are many manufacturers of fly fishing rods.’
- ‘Anglers bristling with fishing rods parade to their boats, preparing to hook their mythic marlins.’
- ‘All fishing rods are designed for a particular purpose, be it long range, short range or somewhere in between.’
- ‘Arrows, knives, axes, and fishing rods are piled up in one corner.’
- ‘They spent an instructive five minutes trying to untangle fishing rods, another five minutes hooking the bait on, and another five minutes trying to cast the rods out to a respectable distance.’
- ‘Wet weather on Saturday and Sunday failed to stop around 100 people from meeting at the beach with their fishing rods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.