One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural or artificial flying insect used as bait in fishing.
- ‘Three weeks ago Nigel brought those fishing flies over for you to fix.’
- ‘Nigel opened the box, revealing two neat rows of fishing flies.’
- ‘When guys of my dad's generation got old, they made a space in the basement to tie their own fishing flies or to paint mallard ducks or whatever.’
- ‘He learned to tie fishing flies and became an expert at this skill.’
- ‘They have lunch together, and Harris gives them his address in London, and also a gift of fishing flies, which he tied himself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.