Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The activity of catching fish, either for food or as a sport.
angling, trawling, catching fishView synonyms
- ‘But the Spanish government continues to insist that its fishing fleet can fish in Irish water from January.’
- ‘Over the last year, there's been a surge in illegal fishing activity in Australia's northern waters.’
- ‘They can fish in our waters but we can't fish in theirs, and the Mediterranean is teeming with fish while our fishing grounds are almost depleted.’
- ‘The fact that humans are killing about 20 to 30 million sharks a year through commercial sport and fishing is also food for thought.’
- ‘Instead of providing a person with fish for that day's food, teach him fishing so that he could be self-reliant.’
- ‘Since then, sport fishing has accounted for thousands of fish per year.’
- ‘Incidentally, second to skydiving, fishing is his favourite sport.’
- ‘Last weekend saw a lot of fishing activity due to the great weather we've been having of late.’
- ‘It is there, she realises, to poach fish before the licensed fishing crews set out.’
- ‘As fishing was a communal activity, with boats crewed by different families, it was necessary to mark the fish so that its owner could be identified once the fish was landed on the beach.’
- ‘The researchers conducted more than 60 interviews covering various aspects of fishing activities.’
- ‘A fourth element involves restricting fishing activity in one or more lakes.’
- ‘The trips are described as the ideal way to get an introduction to the sport of fishing and meeting like minded people.’
- ‘Prizes include rods and reels, fishing tackles kits, fishing tackle packs, picnic baskets, a marine radio and aerial, plus a lot more.’
- ‘Deep-sea fishing is one of a number of non-sailing activities available.’
- ‘Some activities - mountain-bike hire, scuba diving and deep-sea fishing - are not included.’
- ‘For too long your family's presence in Scotland has been coloured by Balmoral and the late summer season with its fishing, robust outdoor activities and Highland games.’
- ‘Another fishing boat picked up three bodies and a lone female survivor.’
- ‘A good flood on Monday should bring in a lot more fish, and fishing should be good this week.’
- ‘Those that did fish experienced very poor fishing and had only a slight improvement in the evening.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.