One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who catches fish for a living or for sport.
- ‘The perception of the fishermen was that the fish were still there to be caught.’
- ‘As I gazed in the direction of his usual path, I saw fishermen bring back their catch of the day.’
- ‘When fishermen caught species in their net that were over quota they had to throw them back into the sea.’
- ‘That would drive prices down and encourage fishermen to catch more fish to make the same amount of money.’
- ‘For the local fishermen, however, fishing for the snappers is a way of life.’
- ‘The sons and daughters of fishermen and farmers are doctors, lawyers and engineers.’
- ‘After more than one hour both the fish and the fishermen were tired.’
- ‘A giant squid shocked the fisherman who caught it in his net off the coast of Vancouver Island.’
- ‘All over Europe fishing communities blame other fishermen for their problems.’
- ‘There seemed to be no sense at all in importing supplies our own fishermen should have been catching.’
- ‘However, the vast majority of bait fishermen will use fresh fish roe wrapped round the hook or sometimes put in small bags.’
- ‘Prices of prawns are still low and supply is steady giving local fishermen a living.’
- ‘There are several different varieties and are a favourite of sport fishermen in those areas.’
- ‘The suggestion is that instead of fish, the fisherman himself has been caught in the net.’
- ‘At the time these fisherman were going out sports fishing with hand lines.’
- ‘Wouldn't it be nice if sport fishermen were able to drag up catches like that from our waters?’
- ‘We are all, of course, sport fishermen but there are times when the welfare of some local children has to take priority.’
- ‘In the evening, when the sun went down, we decided to go fishing with the local fishermen.’
- ‘These seasonal fishermen trapped fish from the swollen rivers for fun as well as profit.’
- ‘Experts say increasing financial pressures are forcing fishermen to sell extra fish on the black market.’
- 1.1 A fishing boat.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.