Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who catches fish for a living or for sport.‘he was an enthusiastic fisher and hunter’‘an experienced trout fisher will be on hand to guide and advise’
- ‘The third and fully revised edition should be on the bookshelf of all saltwater fly fishers.’
- ‘Rivers containing migratory fish have additional laws attached and trout fishers must pay attention.’
- ‘These offer information about shifting shoals, sandbars and such that can be critical for boaters and productive for fishers.’
- ‘He and his band have been hunters, fishers and farmers.’
- ‘His traditional roots show as he weaves tales from life as it was for Canada's early settlers, hunters, fishers, explorers and adventurers.’
2A large brown marten valued for its fur, found in North American woodland where it frequently preys on porcupines.Also called pekan
- ‘His first love is orphaned river otters - also members of the weasel family - but fishers have come to take second place.’
- ‘Like other mustelids, fishers have a high metabolic rate and are ravenous eaters.’
- ‘Bobcats, wolverines, and fishers, that know how to flip the animal on its back and expose its unprotected underside, are the most adept at killing porcupines.’
- ‘The bear, wolf, coyote, fisher, wolverine, otter, and lynx prey upon the beaver who is, nevertheless, a powerful antagonist when at bay.’
- ‘This was the kind of place fishers like: a closed canopy, a supply of dead standing trees to make dens in, and plenty of trees of different heights and deadwood on the ground, where a hungry fisher might find prey.’
Old English fiscere ‘fisherman’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch visser and German Fischer, also to fish.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.