One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A patty of shredded fish and mashed potato, typically coated in batter or breadcrumbs and fried.
- ‘One used to get very simple things such as meat pies and fishcakes and things of that kind.’
- ‘His recipes - such as chicken pie, fishcakes and pavlova - really work well and the book is perfect for Christmas stockings.’
- ‘Crabmeat is great in pasta dishes, fishcakes and soups.’
- ‘For example the Thai fishcakes are medallions of sole and prawn mousse, blended in red curry paste with cucumber dressing.’
- ‘I've tried making her fishcakes, and grand they were.’
- ‘Is there not more scope for dishes like fishcakes and seafood stews where fish is thriftily combined with cheap decent ingredients?’
- ‘Teamed with potatoes it makes excellent fishcakes, a lovely soup or a warming supper dish.’
- ‘I make these little golden fishcakes as a change from the more traditional haddock version, usually in the winter when smoky flavours seem particularly appropriate.’
- ‘One little girl said she didn't like tuna but when we made tuna fishcakes I persuaded her to try it and she ended up loving it.’
- ‘I've put together a dish of salmon fishcakes, but brought in some Scandinavian flavours that marry well with smoked fish.’
- ‘Freia, a trained chef, also makes delicious food like fishcakes.’
- ‘He came back with chips, a fishcake and a battered sausage.’
- ‘It is this basic shape that lies behind the transference of the name to other, completely different foods, such as fishcakes, pancakes, and potato cakes.’
- ‘Other dishes ranged from salmon fishcakes and steak, to red mullet and Spring risotto.’
- ‘The lunch menu is fishy and wholesome: crab soup, crab and Gruyère tartlet, crispy salmon and dill fishcakes are popular.’
- ‘I chose the Thai fishcakes and mango salad, which were delicious and had a great chilli kick.’
- ‘This was the first time Ann could remember fishcakes in batter.’
- ‘To date they have made paella, pasta bake, and fishcakes.’
- ‘A long-time fan of this particular culinary partnership, I had a go at making light, crisp, potato-free fishcakes and putting them on the table with a jar of the dill and mustard sauce.’
- ‘I started off with the Thai fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce, and was very pleasantly surprised.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.