Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A patty of shredded fish and mashed potato, typically coated in batter or breadcrumbs and fried.
- ‘Crabmeat is great in pasta dishes, fishcakes and soups.’
- ‘The lunch menu is fishy and wholesome: crab soup, crab and Gruyère tartlet, crispy salmon and dill fishcakes are popular.’
- ‘I've tried making her fishcakes, and grand they were.’
- ‘A long-time fan of this particular culinary partnership, I had a go at making light, crisp, potato-free fishcakes and putting them on the table with a jar of the dill and mustard sauce.’
- ‘Freia, a trained chef, also makes delicious food like fishcakes.’
- ‘Other dishes ranged from salmon fishcakes and steak, to red mullet and Spring risotto.’
- ‘Teamed with potatoes it makes excellent fishcakes, a lovely soup or a warming supper dish.’
- ‘He came back with chips, a fishcake and a battered sausage.’
- ‘Is there not more scope for dishes like fishcakes and seafood stews where fish is thriftily combined with cheap decent ingredients?’
- ‘His recipes - such as chicken pie, fishcakes and pavlova - really work well and the book is perfect for Christmas stockings.’
- ‘It is this basic shape that lies behind the transference of the name to other, completely different foods, such as fishcakes, pancakes, and potato cakes.’
- ‘I make these little golden fishcakes as a change from the more traditional haddock version, usually in the winter when smoky flavours seem particularly appropriate.’
- ‘This was the first time Ann could remember fishcakes in batter.’
- ‘One little girl said she didn't like tuna but when we made tuna fishcakes I persuaded her to try it and she ended up loving it.’
- ‘For example the Thai fishcakes are medallions of sole and prawn mousse, blended in red curry paste with cucumber dressing.’
- ‘I've put together a dish of salmon fishcakes, but brought in some Scandinavian flavours that marry well with smoked fish.’
- ‘I started off with the Thai fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce, and was very pleasantly surprised.’
- ‘To date they have made paella, pasta bake, and fishcakes.’
- ‘One used to get very simple things such as meat pies and fishcakes and things of that kind.’
- ‘I chose the Thai fishcakes and mango salad, which were delicious and had a great chilli kick.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.