One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A round glass bowl for keeping pet fish in.
- ‘Sat perfectly still inside the fishbowl was a small aquarium dweller.’
- ‘He compares our bodies to that of a fish in a fishbowl.’
- ‘When I get to the house, the fishbowl on the porch is empty.’
- ‘The hostess double-takes at the sight of a panda and large, muscle-bound man in a suit and tie carrying a lobster in a fishbowl.’
- ‘Indeed as you turn your head from side to side, the 3D images appear to bow out to you like a true three-dimensional fishbowl.’
- 1.1US A place open to public view and criticism.‘there was no privacy in his office; it was a fishbowl’
- ‘Working with Madonna is like working in a fishbowl: the whole world is watching.’
- ‘But from outside the fishbowl, it just reinforces the impression that nothing they say can be taken at face value.’
- ‘I think one of the things that I learned from politics is that you really have to open up your life and live in a fishbowl to be an elected official.’
- ‘I'm thinking in particular of people in high and not-so-high places in the Bahamas that used to hide behind curtains and anonymity and now the curtain has been drawn and they are in a fishbowl.’
- ‘And the downside of fame is that ‘you're always in the fishbowl, so have to be aware of what you're doing.’’
- ‘Are you willing to lead by example in everything you do - to live in a fishbowl with your personal and professional life open to view?’
- ‘I hated what it had become, a fishbowl for TV journalists who wanted to pontificate about the unknown poor in the city.’
- ‘To add insult to injury, the citizens will fund the very system that will reduce their lives to a transparent fishbowl.’
- ‘Now, he's going to the biggest fishbowl in sports, where the rabid New York tabloid papers and sports talk radio will dissect everything he says and does.’
- ‘We're a little bit more used to the media ties, the environment in which we live and the necessity of operating in kind of a media fishbowl all the time.’
- ‘The chef will be in the TV fishbowl as cameras chronicle life in the kitchens and in the dining room.’
- ‘When I feel I've had too much press or I'm in a fishbowl I just go home.’
- ‘One of the original ideas behind the Wrestling site was to include a blog, thus allowing the public a look into our glorious fishbowl.’
- ‘There is a distinct similarity between the two men, both of whom spent a brief period atop golf's World Ranking, neither of whom has grown accustomed to life in golf's fishbowl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.