One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first agricultural produce or animal offspring of a season.
- ‘In the course of time, Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground, and Abel for his part brought of the firstlings of his flock, their fat portions.’
- ‘There they were to bring their burnt offerings and other sacrifices, tithes and contributions, offerings, and the firstlings of their herds and flocks.’
- ‘The firstlings, both human and animal, were commonly believed to belong to God in a special way.’
- ‘Every first-born is mine: and every firstling among thy cattle.’
- ‘The Bible instructs the faithful to tithe their grain, wine, and oil along with the firstlings of the herds and flocks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.