One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The best players on a sports team, the ones that normally play the most.
- ‘The Titans may be the lone exception to that rule, as they plan to play their regulars through the first quarter after head coach Jeff Fisher chose to pull the first string early at Dallas on Monday.’
- ‘He's a first string quarterback who's older than four of his coaches.’
- ‘Though McDonough comes from outside the Detroit norm, other first string players are all veterans.’
- ‘She was an offbeat kind of girl, to say the least, and he was first string on the hockey team and the football team, and had a big, block-shaped head and bristly blonde hair.’
- ‘I decided the teams so that I had all the second string players and he had the entire first string players.’
- 1.1 The best or most talented individuals in any endeavor.
- ‘Asked if he deserved a promotion to first string after one year of broadcasting, he says, ‘Probably not.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.