One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first of a number of occasions, typically three, on which a bill must be formally presented to a legislative assembly before it becomes law.
- ‘That event will overshadow the first reading of this bill.’
- ‘The support that Government members are giving this bill at its first reading is welcomed by the National Party, and by the Opposition.’
- ‘The issue is that this Parliament will give a bill a first reading - no more, no less.’
- ‘If this bill gets past the first reading the Commerce Committee should revisit the submission process.’
- ‘The Education Act should be ready for a first reading in the legislative assembly by February 2006.’
- ‘The National Party will support the first reading of this bill.’
- ‘The Government does have the support to introduce this bill and have a first reading on it.’
- ‘I hope every member of Parliament will support this bill on its first reading.’
- ‘United Future is happy to support this bill at its first reading, and its referral to a select committee for further examination.’
- ‘We are therefore very happy to support this bill through its first reading to the select committee stage.’
- ‘I think it has become quite clear during my speech that the Government will be opposing the first reading of this bill.’
- ‘I am happy to rise to support the first reading of the Securities Legislation Bill.’
- ‘The Green Party will be supporting the Oaths Modernisation Bill at its first reading so that it can be referred to a select committee.’
- ‘We supported the bill in its first reading, and during the select committee stage we had some concerns, as we often do with legislation.’
- ‘Next week it is intended that the House will concentrate on the first readings of bills on the Order Paper.’
- ‘This bill had its first reading, and was then referred to the select committee, in February 2003.’
- ‘Parliament approved the first reading of two bills revising the Local Taxes and Fees Act.’
- ‘We will be supporting this bill through its first reading.’
- ‘The bill has passed the first reading in the Legislature and will be forwarded for further review next month.’
- ‘By virtue of the bill receiving its first reading on 14 December last year, it had to be introduced into Parliament before that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.