Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The fundamental concepts or assumptions on which a theory, system, or method is based.‘I think we have to start again and go right back to first principles’
- ‘What alternative means is there whereby the first principles of sciences are known?’
- ‘Thus, the inquiry moves from what is commonly known to first principles.’
- ‘The purpose of Rawl's work was to create a system of justice from first principles, creating a philosophical basis for a just society.’
- ‘According to Aristotle, the first principles of the sciences are not merely contingently true.’
- ‘All that would be known from first principles - the reductionist approach to analysis.’
- ‘A second description of natural law is: the first principles or starting points of practical reasoning.’
- ‘This may be translated as ‘the first principles and causes’ namely, of being.’
- ‘Incorporating these features enables the method to more effectively identify first principles.’
- ‘It can only contested through a broad critique of the system from first principles, an uphill struggle that Lessig is leading.’
- ‘First, knowledge of first principles is certain because the intellect has only to form such judgments to see that they are true.’
- ‘We do so on the basis of those first principles I set out before you at the beginning of this week.’
- ‘The first principles of a science must be true, primary and immediate, hold necessarily and be explanatory of the results that they are the first principles of.’
- ‘Godel did not argue for realism on the grounds of first principles, prior to practice.’
- ‘But it is perhaps truer of Spinoza than of his contemporaries that his enterprise was one of radical deduction from first principles.’
- ‘Despite my attempts to define a few first principles, and thereby derive the whole of knowledge, I always find myself stuck fairly early in the process.’
- ‘When that country began to lose its way there was a concerted effort to start again from first principles, make a reality of youth academies, and make the national team a priority.’
- ‘Without appealing to God, Aquinas sees no way of explaining how we recognize the truth of first principles.’
- ‘It is in these first principles that natural causes are expressed.’
- ‘Otherwise there will be truths prior to them from which they can be derived - and thus they will not after all be axioms or first principles.’
- ‘I suspect that the universe is deterministic and based upon a set of first principles that are probably not comprehensible to any sort of being that is bound to causality.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.