A posture in which the feet are turned outward with the heels touching.
- ‘She instantly brings the tips of her toes and her heels to touch in sort of a first position in the air.’
- ‘As one, they opened their feet to first position.’
- ‘After I stretched I stood again and straightened my back in perfect posture and held my arms in first position.’
- ‘Stand in first position (legs together, feet forming a 45-degree V-shaped angle).’
- ‘Tory closed her eyes, bringing her feet together in a ballet first position, and cleared her mind.’
- 1.1A position of the arms in which both are held curved in front of the body at waist level, with the palms facing the body.
The lowest position of the hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument.
- ‘Toward the end of the book, the cello player needs to be able to play the forward extension in first position.’