One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The leader of the ruling political party in some regions or countries.
- ‘High praise indeed from Rhodri Morgan, Welsh first minister.’
- ‘McConnell, the first minister, has staked his political future on making a success of a ban on smoking in all public places.’
- ‘Both announcements were made in the constituency of Northern Ireland's first minister, Peter Robinson.’
- ‘Jack McConnell, the first minister, said he was "disappointed" at the decision.’
- ‘We can't really understand why the first minister won't meet with us.’
- ‘Jack McConnell, Scotland's first minister, tried to draw a line under the fiasco.’
- ‘Three years ago, Scotland's first minister resigned in a row over office expenses.’
- ‘Then along came Livingstone, a man whose fondness for lizards no doubt helped him strike an instant rapport with the beleaguered first minister.’
- ‘Jack is the first minister of the Scottish Parliament with a salary of £ 118,000 a year.’
- ‘He is due to be formally sworn in as first minister on Thursday.’
- ‘Gordon Brown, the most powerful Chancellor in British history, had been snubbed by Scotland's first minister.’
- ‘Less lovely was the Scottish first minister, Jack McConnell.’
- ‘Senior church figures have accused the first minister of making a grave misjudgment.’
- ‘Martin McGuinness, Northern Ireland's deputy first minister, branded the attackers " racist criminals ".’
- ‘He is first minister of a cabinet in a parliamentary democracy.’
- ‘The Scotland Act obliges MSPs to elect a new first minister within 28 days of the departure of his predecessor.’
- ‘Scotland's first minister insists justice was his government's only consideration.’
- ‘Current ministers, including Jack McConnell, the first minister, are expected to escape serious criticism.’
- ‘The deputy first minister Jim Wallace has staked his credibility on this interpretation.’
- ‘Unsurprisingly, some furious local activists in response argued that what was needed was better first ministers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.