One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The deck officer second in command to the master of a merchant ship.
- ‘Upon reach the ship, the first mate looked back over his shoulder.’
- ‘In 1789, the first mate of the Bounty, Fletcher Christian, had cast Captain Bligh and 18 others adrift in an open boat.’
- ‘The captain commanded Jose to stop and his first mate obeyed.’
- ‘The first mate threw a glance over the sailors crowded on the main deck.’
- ‘The Captain looked as though he wished the first mate was lying lifeless on the floor with the dead men.’
- ‘Finn watches his first mate wave the makeshift truce flag at the ship, hoping he wasn't about to see his friend get blown to smithereens.’
- ‘Throwing the captain, his first mate and even half the crew of the Titanic overboard would not have avoided imminent disaster.’
- ‘Early in the story, Jim finds himself first mate on a ship badly damaged at sea.’
- ‘The first mate quickly retrieved the captain's red shirt.’
- ‘Both their captain and the first mate abandon them on a sinking ship with no food and no hope.’
- ‘Like a seasoned first mate, I learned quickly how to give orders.’
- ‘During the trip, Jones unexpectedly became the ship's master when its captain and first mate died suddenly.’
- ‘The first mate was in charge on deck, and Devlin, the cook, was cooking up a meal of all the perishable food.’
- ‘Amy did not feel as if she needed to properly address a mere sailor, even if he was the first mate.’
- ‘Irishman Charles Lucas, a ship's first mate, was honoured for bravery during action in the Baltic during the Crimean War.’
- ‘With the crew distributed among three boats, the captain, Pollard, on the advice of the first mate, Chase, took a fatally wrong decision.’
- ‘He took the captain's gig back to the Bastante where he passed on the Captain's words to the first mate.’
- ‘The first mate flinched when he heard the Captain bark his name as he entered up from under deck.’
- ‘The first mate grinned and held out a hand for the captain.’
- ‘When everyone was served, the cook filled a basket with food for the lookout and helmsman and set it out near the first mate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.