Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's native language.
- ‘‘We are an inclusive school,’ she says, adding that 19 first languages are spoken among the pupils.’
- ‘We have quite a few Australian citizens who also don't speak English as their first language.’
- ‘The most immediate obstacle lies in equipping people with limited literacy levels and a variety of first languages to understand how the machines function and how to access the network.’
- ‘Spanish is the first language, but English is widely spoken in the tourist trade.’
- ‘As of the late 1990s, there are only a small number of people who speak Breton as their first language.’
- ‘Many speak excellent English, but some will speak French as a first language.’
- ‘That sentence wasn't written by anyone who speaks English as a first language.’
- ‘Children with special needs or who do not speak English as their first language were seen to have made good progress.’
- ‘It seems to hover between teaching it as a second language and as a first language, without being successful at either.’
- ‘Managing workers who don't speak English as their first language is tricky.’
- ‘She doesn't speak English as a first language so the conversation was a little difficult.’
- ‘Announcers still have to come up with something to say, and they often don't speak English as a first language.’
- ‘It is clear to anyone that French is not my first language.’
- ‘He was diagnosed as profoundly deaf as a toddler after an accident, and British Sign Language is his first language.’
- ‘Please accept my apology for any grammatical errors in advance since English is not my first language.’
first language/fərst ˈlaNGɡwij/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.