One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gain of ten yards or more in field position during a series of downs, permitting the offensive team to attempt another series of downs.
- ‘Seattle's first-string offense had just 16 total yards and no first downs in the first quarter.’
- ‘The first-team offense netted 297 yards and 12 first downs.’
- ‘Next time your favorite team misses a first down by one or two chain links, remember those lost inches that nobody seems to care about.’
- ‘Carr scrambled away from the rush and found Bradford for an 8-yard completion and a first down.’
- ‘The Chiefs' last two games have yielded some huge numbers - more than 70 first downs, 1,000 total yards and 101 points.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.