Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Help given to a sick or injured person until full medical treatment is available.‘an expert in emergency first aid’[as modifier] ‘a first-aid kit’
- ‘CPR certification is good for one year and first-aid certification is good for three years.’
- ‘Never mind the golf bags that come with pocket watches, first-aid kits and GPS systems.’
- ‘The first-aid people escorted my mother to an army medical van to see if she needed stitches.’
- ‘I keep it in my first-aid kit and medicine chest; it is harmless and could help in many stressful situations.’
- ‘No staff member had first-aid training and there was an unregistered nurse available for only three hours per day.’
- ‘Children would also learn to perform basic first-aid techniques and take responsibility for risky situations.’
- ‘He and Ward broke into 40 more hotel rooms to make more space for the wounded before Ward went out to search for first-aid equipment.’
- ‘Many have emergency oxygen and first-aid kits, and have undertaken the relevant training.’
- ‘The conference was full four days of competitions, first-aid seminars and meeting up with other campus first-aid teams.’
- ‘Included in the campaign plan is first-aid assistance to injured victims.’
- ‘Similar boxes are available from first-aid kit suppliers, and would work fine.’
- ‘Afterwards, Kathy apologised to the shocked producer who allegedly required first-aid treatment on the wound left by the bite.’
- ‘At the hospital, doctors will continue first-aid measures and protect the damaged skin with dressings.’
- ‘The bleeding stopped in less than a minute, though standard first-aid attempts had not worked.’
- ‘Keep medications, water, snacks, maps, an emergency kit and first-aid supplies in the vehicle.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.