Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A group of soldiers detailed to shoot a condemned person.
- ‘His fate, death by firing squad, would hardly seem a cause for celebration.’
- ‘But remembrance is not enough for the relatives of the British servicemen executed at dawn by firing squads.’
- ‘After a one-day trial in Ho Chi Minh City, an Australian citizen has been sentenced to death by firing squad in Vietnam for drug smuggling.’
- ‘Believe it or not, death by hanging and firing squad are still legal in a few states.’
- ‘He returned to Naples, now in Bourbon hands, and was shot by firing squad.’
- ‘If he is not given a pardon, he will be executed by a five-man firing squad.’
- ‘The sentence of death is traditionally carried out by an army firing squad.’
- ‘Three weeks later, Cole was shot by a firing squad.’
- ‘The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.’
- ‘At the time, the only other methods in use in this country were the gas chamber, firing squad and gallows.’
- ‘Nine other Australians face death by firing squad after being detained last month at Bali airport with several bags of heroin allegedly strapped to their bodies.’
- ‘The firing squad usually fires at least three shots - at the neck, waist and ankle, he said.’
- ‘The day after he was fired, the President was shot by the firing squad.’
- ‘I witnessed soldiers executing people by firing squad.’
- ‘Nearly everyone cheered as the firing squad refused to shoot the revolutionary sailors.’
- ‘Shortly before Christmas 1943 a young Scottish officer faced a Japanese firing squad in an anonymous execution ground in Hong Kong.’
- ‘The fate of the 306 British Empire soldiers executed by firing squad, mainly on the Western Front, had been one of the hidden tragedies of the First World War.’
- ‘Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.’
- ‘They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.’
- ‘He could be sentenced to death by firing squad if he's convicted.’
- 1.1US A group of soldiers detailed to fire the salute at a military funeral.
- ‘Taps will be played either by a bugler or by recording, and a three-volley salute, sometimes referred to as a twenty one gun salute, will be held by a firing squad.’
- ‘At our memorial day parade, there were 3 senior members that were asked by the commander of the foreign legion to do the firing squad for the rifle salutes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.