One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A group of soldiers detailed to shoot a condemned person.
- ‘Then the commander of the firing squad went forward and shot each in the forehead.’
- ‘If he is not given a pardon, he will be executed by a five-man firing squad.’
- ‘Shortly before Christmas 1943 a young Scottish officer faced a Japanese firing squad in an anonymous execution ground in Hong Kong.’
- ‘After a one-day trial in Ho Chi Minh City, an Australian citizen has been sentenced to death by firing squad in Vietnam for drug smuggling.’
- ‘The firing squad usually fires at least three shots - at the neck, waist and ankle, he said.’
- ‘Believe it or not, death by hanging and firing squad are still legal in a few states.’
- ‘He returned to Naples, now in Bourbon hands, and was shot by firing squad.’
- ‘Nearly everyone cheered as the firing squad refused to shoot the revolutionary sailors.’
- ‘The day after he was fired, the President was shot by the firing squad.’
- ‘At the time, the only other methods in use in this country were the gas chamber, firing squad and gallows.’
- ‘He could be sentenced to death by firing squad if he's convicted.’
- ‘His fate, death by firing squad, would hardly seem a cause for celebration.’
- ‘Nine other Australians face death by firing squad after being detained last month at Bali airport with several bags of heroin allegedly strapped to their bodies.’
- ‘The fate of the 306 British Empire soldiers executed by firing squad, mainly on the Western Front, had been one of the hidden tragedies of the First World War.’
- ‘They went through the farce of a court martial and were then shot by a firing squad.’
- ‘But remembrance is not enough for the relatives of the British servicemen executed at dawn by firing squads.’
- ‘The sentence of death is traditionally carried out by an army firing squad.’
- ‘I witnessed soldiers executing people by firing squad.’
- ‘The American and Spanish ministers made unsuccessful appeals for postponement of her execution in Germany, and she was shot by a firing squad on October 12, 1915.’
- ‘Three weeks later, Cole was shot by a firing squad.’
- 1.1US A group of soldiers detailed to fire the salute at a military funeral.
- ‘At our memorial day parade, there were 3 senior members that were asked by the commander of the foreign legion to do the firing squad for the rifle salutes.’
- ‘Taps will be played either by a bugler or by recording, and a three-volley salute, sometimes referred to as a twenty one gun salute, will be held by a firing squad.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.