One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Wood burned as fuel.
- ‘Trees also provide shelter, shade, leaf mulch, fencing and firewood.’
- ‘Rivers froze and supplies of coal and firewood, already scarce over the autumn, were immobilized.’
- ‘The smoke emanating from the firewood used for cooking infused a spirit of celebration into the atmosphere.’
- ‘The mother built the fire, the children kept the firebox filled, and the father cut the firewood.’
- ‘One of the clearest memories I have of my mother was one time when my brothers and sisters had returned from the forest after collecting firewood.’
- ‘They have to go out every day and collect water and collect firewood.’
- ‘Tree crops supply shade, fodder, leaf or bark mulch, firewood, shelter, soil protection and fencing.’
- ‘For now, her family survives on seeds and grains, and selling firewood in the local market.’
- ‘After a couple of decades in one area, firewood was cut, game was hunted out, and farm fields were depleted.’
- ‘With the discovery of gold, mining became a major consumer of firewood and rough timber.’
- ‘A man was working in the woods collecting firewood when he came upon a snake wedged in the crevice of a tree.’
- ‘The soggy firewood was gathered, tents put up, and a line strung between trees to hang the wet gear to dry.’
- ‘Ethiopia has an oil refinery, but derives most of its energy from firewood, charcoal, and dung.’
- ‘Among the products currently manufactured are indoor and garden furnishings, charcoal and firewood.’
- ‘When the wood has been neglected, it is made into barbeque charcoal and logs for firewood.’
- ‘But the weather did not let up and eventually the last piece of firewood was burnt and used up.’
- ‘As we were fairly late arriving, all the good camping spots were gone and so was all the firewood.’
- ‘Gorse and broom are used for cattle bedding and eucalyptus for firewood.’
- ‘The most devastating impact came from cutting trees for firewood and charcoal.’
- ‘Seconds later, I heard a dull clunk as he placed the firewood on the floor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.