Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technology that allows high-speed communication and data exchange between a computer and a peripheral or between two computers.
- ‘At the bottom of the case are the two USB ports, a FireWire connection and a mic and headphone jack.’
- ‘The image is captured, digitized, and transferred to a PC over a FireWire interface.’
- ‘Given that it features video editing capabilities, I would have like to have seen a FireWire connection included.’
- ‘Modem and networking are included, as is a FireWire port for cameras, disks and other devices.’
- ‘When we plug in a FireWire drive or a USB storage device (such as a camcorder, an MP3 player or a digital camera), the device shows up on the desktop, in the appropriate applications and in the directory.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.