One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Light from a fire in a fireplace.
illumination, brightness, luminescence, luminosity, shining, gleaming, gleam, brilliance, radiance, lustre, glowing, glow, blaze, glare, dazzleView synonyms
- ‘No doubt, our earliest ancestors performed for each other in caves with firelight as a backdrop.’
- ‘She looks beautiful as she sits down in the sand next to me, with the soft firelight playing across her face.’
- ‘Reflected firelight flashed as they fought and an occasional spark jumped as the scimitars clashed.’
- ‘Above her, the boy was coming around the corner of the bed, his sword glinting in the dim firelight.’
- ‘Jack glanced at her for a moment, trying to read all of her facial features by a mix of firelight and moonlight.’
- ‘Sitting in the rosy glow of candle and firelight we thought it looked rather romantic.’
- ‘Shadows lurked beyond the flickering firelight, blending in with the darkness.’
- ‘The flickering firelight lit them all in its tumbling glow.’
- ‘Only the women were there, minding their own affairs by firelight.’
- ‘Silently, he crept forward to the edge of a large clearing that was bathed in firelight.’
- ‘She passed by Lynx's room, and came upon one on the left whose door was left ajar, leaking firelight into the hallway.’
- ‘I saw only two faces, lit by firelight, and ready to shoot questions at me.’
- ‘The whole city would be lit by firelight and fireworks instead of moonlight.’
- ‘At night the graceful mantle of leaves becomes a gilded dome in the reflected firelight.’
- ‘Everything was flickering in the gentle firelight as the fire gently died.’
- ‘Even Cousin Kate, the postmistress, looked pretty good by firelight.’
- ‘Jake reached out a hand and stroked her cheek gently, his eyes never leaving her face, flickering in the gentle firelight.’
- ‘I had helped decorate it, but in the glowing firelight, it looked beyond beautiful.’
- ‘Dad was reading the newspaper by firelight and Mom was telling us a story.’
- ‘They were close together, face to face in the warm firelight.’
Old English fȳr-lēoht (see fire, light).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.