Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An insulated container capable of maintaining a temperature at which food can be cooked.
- ‘Any kind of container stuffed tightly with insulating material can serve as a fireless cooker.’
- ‘He was an inventive man: his creations included a fireless cooker; a water-powered electric generator; and the Post Currency Check, a kind of postal order.’
- ‘Just heat the food until it boils, simmer it for a while, and then put it into the fireless cooker.’
- ‘I can't wait to see that fireless cooker when completed!’
- ‘During both World Wars, the fireless cooker was used to supplement rationed or unavailable fuel sources.’
fireless cooker/ˌfī(ə)rləs ˈko͝okər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.