One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft-bodied beetle related to the glowworm, the winged male and flightless female of which both have luminescent organs. The light is chiefly produced as a signal between the sexes, especially in flashes.
- ‘The firefly's light is only visible for an instant.’
- ‘The light from the firefly is an example of phosphorescence.’
- ‘We were guided as we went by millions of fireflies whose flashing marked the banks like landing lights on an airstrip.’
- ‘Later lab experiments showed that by flashing an artificial light at a firefly you could speed up its rhythm, you could slow it down, make it flash a little later than it would otherwise.’
- ‘Triggered by dusk's fading daylight, male fireflies lift off into the air and begin their courtship.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.