Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soft-bodied beetle related to the glowworm, the winged male and flightless female of which both have luminescent organs. The light is chiefly produced as a signal between the sexes, especially in flashes.
- ‘The light from the firefly is an example of phosphorescence.’
- ‘The firefly's light is only visible for an instant.’
- ‘Later lab experiments showed that by flashing an artificial light at a firefly you could speed up its rhythm, you could slow it down, make it flash a little later than it would otherwise.’
- ‘We were guided as we went by millions of fireflies whose flashing marked the banks like landing lights on an airstrip.’
- ‘Triggered by dusk's fading daylight, male fireflies lift off into the air and begin their courtship.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.