One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for andiron
- ‘Firedogs were made to occupy the tall and wide fireplaces in the principal rooms of Venetian palazzi.’
- ‘Many of the cast-iron firedogs are reproduced from the original 16th to 18th Century patterns.’
- ‘He also designed eminently practical and sleek kettles, firedogs, fenders, and fire screens.’
- ‘The most spectacular of these is the Capel Garmon firedog from North Wales, with its magnificent horns and elaborate and fanciful manes.’
- ‘Take the pair of silvered bronze firedogs made in the style of the late seventeenth century that ornamented the fireplace of the Grand Salon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.