One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small warbler having a red and orange crest and occurring mainly in Europe.
Regulus ignicapillus, family Sylviidae
- ‘Firecrests are tiny birds, the second smallest species in Europe.’
- ‘He watches a rare firecrest dancing on the banks of the river Fal, witnesses the tumbling flight of evening swifts and reports that experts now believe that birdsong may be - in part at least - pure exuberance, as much spirit as function.’
- ‘Do firecrests only stay for winter in the south west or can they turn up any time?’
- ‘I was amazed to find not one but two Firecrests together just by the little gate.’
- ‘Those boon migratory companions, the firecrest and the black redstart, provided considerable entertainment to local birders in 1994.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.