One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area in a war zone in which artillery can be massed to provide heavy firepower to support other military units.
- ‘Six North Vietnamese army battalions were massed around the firebase.’
- ‘And, after being relieved the following day, they set up a firebase, so they could support the rest of the battalion if needed.’
- ‘By establishing mobile maintenance teams, the unit could rapidly deploy mechanics to outlying firebases to perform services and emergency repairs.’
- ‘Soldiers in a Special Forces support company often are collocated with the units they support in remote firebases in Central and South America.’
- ‘We did not have enough radios to monitor more than one network with all the firebases on the command net.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.