One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vehicle carrying firefighters and equipment for fighting large fires; a fire engine.
- ‘At least four people have been injured after a fire truck and a car collided in West Philadelphia.’
- ‘‘There you go,’ the firefighter said and opened a door to the fire truck.’
- ‘As she walked back to her car, two more police units and a fire truck pulled up.’
- ‘They turned down a side road just as a fire truck and two ambulances sped past them.’
- ‘We began to wonder whether he had even called the police at all, but after a few minutes a fire truck and a police car showed up.’
- ‘From the opposite lane, two ambulances, followed by a squad car and a fire truck, came roaring onto the scene, spraying snow everywhere.’
- ‘‘The fire truck and the ambulances could not come in, because the road was blocked and we had to go running to find car owners to get them to move,’ the uncle said.’
- ‘The interview was interrupted at times by the sound of a police car, fire truck or ambulance screaming by on Central Park South.’
- ‘The lights of the ambulance, fire truck and police cars didn't seem real to me.’
- ‘I remember walking home to see a fire truck and police cars zooming by.’
- ‘It takes an hour for the fire truck or ambulance to get to your house.’
- ‘The kids have a hilarious time, they get to climb all over the fire truck, and play on the police motorcycles.’
- ‘When the fire truck and several jeep-loads of police began arriving at 10.05 am, spectators crowded the media and began badgering officials for news.’
- ‘They've accused fire fighters of incompetence, alleging that when the first fire truck arrived at the school, it was carrying just 200 litres of water.’
- ‘Fighting appeared to have subsided yesterday after many protesters backed off, setting fire to three vans, a police car, a fire truck and a television news van in their path.’
- ‘From the time I hear the sirens, to the time the fire truck and police cars and ambulance got there seemed like a lifetime.’
- ‘The angry but peaceful mob made it as far as the Royal Cliff property's front gate where they were held back by more than 100 police and security officers and a fire truck.’
- ‘Their giggles lasted only a few minutes of course, until a fire truck raced down the street and screeched to a halt, and a bunch of guys hopped out and began dousing the flames.’
- ‘As soon as the first fire truck was seen coming toward the scene of the accident, smoke grenades were deployed to give a realistic appearance of smoke coming from under the vehicle.’
- ‘But I can't have you riding around on a fire truck all day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.