One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A facility where fire engines and other equipment of a fire department are housed.
- ‘The airport's buildings include military bunkers and a fire station.’
- ‘Anyone who wants safety advice should contact their local fire station.’
- ‘When the call comes, the fire-fighters go to the fire station immediately.’
- ‘Michael raised the money by organising a sponsored bike ride and an annual fundraising event held by the local fire station.’
- ‘She also visited her local fire station to handle and familiarise herself with the equipment.’
- ‘Mayo County Council has made application for the funding for the new fire station in Westport.’
- ‘I joined a large gathering outside the small fire station by the city watch house.’
- ‘He once spent three weeks living in a fire station to make a documentary about Venice's firefighters.’
- ‘Work on the construction of a training tower at the local fire station is continuing.’
- ‘While on call my husband must remain within five minutes of the fire station.’
- ‘People come up to me sometimes and ask if my house is a fire station because I have so many engines on the drive.’
- ‘There will be parking for a further 30 cars on the grass between the fire station and the north end of the car park.’
- ‘The report was critical of many things in the town including the fire station.’
- ‘One of the lads went to the fire station to get a glass of water.’
- ‘He said when the grass is cut the cuttings are being dumped in the trees at the back of the local fire station.’
- ‘Workmen who saw the tragedy ran to a nearby fire station to raise the alarm.’
- ‘When a shoe-less mother turned up at a fire station with a suitcase, crews naturally asked how they could help.’
- ‘Community fire safety checks can be organised by calling a fire station.’
- ‘They huddled in a Red Cross shelter at a local fire station to wait for news.’
- ‘Training is provided, with classes held every year at the fire station from September to April.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.