One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of flammable material used to help start a fire.British term firelighter
- ‘Only use approved fire starters - never gasoline or paint thinner, for example.’
- ‘It has stashes of things that you might need - a fire blanket, a fire starter.’
- ‘Newspaper was twisted into ‘spills' and used to light pipes or cigarettes or to make fire starters.’
- ‘Made from environmentally friendly compounds such as sawdust, wood chips, newsprint, and paraffin, solid fire starters are safe, portable, and easy to ignite.’
- ‘It was pocked with wartlike clumps of sap, and he walked over and began pulling them off, balling them up, and nestling the natural fire starter in the kindling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.