One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vehicle carrying firefighters and equipment for fighting large fires.
- ‘From a health and safety point of view, could a fire engine or ambulance have easy access on to the estate in an emergency?’
- ‘Emma and Sarah had the unexpected opportunity to sit in the cab of a real fire engine.’
- ‘The fire engine had hit his car heavily and ploughed into pedestrians.’
- ‘One fire engine remained outside, along with two uniformed police officers.’
- ‘If an ambulance, police car or fire engine is attending a hoax call then it can't be at a real emergency.’
- ‘Residents said they fear that next time it could be a fire engine or ambulance that could barred by thoughtlessly parked vehicles.’
- ‘The officer who suffered the most serious injuries had to be cut free from the cab of the fire engine.’
- ‘Seconds later they are climbing aboard their fire engine, the double doors open and the vehicle flings forward into the traffic.’
- ‘At least one officer is needed to properly man a fire engine.’
- ‘A big fire engine manned by a team of firefighters would come out to the neighbourhood and set up a ladder and rescue the animal.’
- ‘An investigation has been launched after a father of two died when his car was hit by a fire engine which went through a red light.’
- ‘Both an ambulance and a fire engine, heading to separate emergency calls, were delayed.’
- ‘There were no vehicles on the island apart from one fire engine, one police car and one ambulance.’
- ‘A fire engine appeared first and the firefighters gave James oxygen before an ambulance arrived to take him to hospital.’
- ‘The police and fire brigade joined in, with a dog handling demonstration and the chance to have a close-up look at a fire engine.’
- ‘Local firefighters took a fire engine to join his funeral procession.’
- ‘Do you want your children trapped in a fire because it was cheaper to send a fire engine rather than an ambulance to a heart attack?’
- ‘One fire engine and a specialist salvage unit, which carries flood related equipment, attended the incident.’
- ‘Every fire engine in Greater Manchester could soon be equipped with equipment to save the lives of heart attack victims.’
- ‘Before the railway company could remove the carriages from the track however a fire engine got stuck on the line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.