Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The department of a local or municipal authority in charge of preventing and fighting fires.
- ‘Soon the whole school was evacuated and the fire department on the way.’
- ‘They continued to fight the fire until the fire department arrived on scene.’
- ‘My wife opened the front door - it was the fire department, wanting to know if we were OK.’
- ‘The local fire department had a huge influence on my life and my experiences there will never be forgotten.’
- ‘We suggest that you also call your local fire department and ask it to do a safety inspection.’
- ‘Another source for information is your local fire department's hazardous material team.’
- ‘If you're not sure where to start, contact your local fire department for recommendations.’
- ‘He then alerted paramedics and the volunteer fire department who were at the crash site in a short amount of time.’
- ‘Your local fire department may agree to put on a workshop for area contractors.’
- ‘I directed him to call the fire department then try to extinguish the blaze.’
- ‘They are designed to be used by trained staff in an attempt to put out a fire while waiting for the fire department to arrive.’
- ‘The local fire department had to be called in to extinguish the blaze.’
- ‘A few minutes later the fire department arrived to evaluate the scene and verified the aircraft was safe.’
- ‘One time, the local fire department had to be called to a store opening to control the mob.’
- ‘The police descended, and with them came the fire department, ambulances, and a helicopter.’
- ‘The municipal fire department was called and the firemen battled in a fruitless attempt to control the blaze.’
- ‘To learn more about volunteer opportunities in your area, call your local fire department.’
- ‘The fire department responded in a short time, but it felt like an eternity for somebody sitting in a crippled jet.’
- ‘After the fire was under control, the fire department allowed us into the garage level to remove our cars.’
- ‘The office also coordinates action with local police and the fire department.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.