One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organized body of people trained and employed to extinguish fires.
- ‘I told her to get away from the door quickly and call the fire brigade.’
- ‘I dread to think what could have happened if the fire brigade weren't here as quickly as they were.’
- ‘Damage was minor but the fire brigade spent another 20 minutes making sure those fires were out.’
- ‘While his wife phoned the fire brigade, Mr Nugent went inside to see if anyone was trapped but was soon beaten back.’
- ‘A spokesman for the fire brigade said two firefighters attended the incident.’
- ‘People in the building tried to extinguish the blaze but were beaten back and the fire brigade had to be called.’
- ‘The fire brigade is waiting for authorisation to connect to a water supply that is just yards from the new building.’
- ‘Police and the fire brigade were called, and the fire brigade shored up the wall with four hydraulic jacks.’
- ‘He immediately alerted the fire brigade, who were on the scene within minutes.’
- ‘After three or four minutes, we realised she would not open the door and we decided to call the fire brigade.’
- ‘In the owner's absence the fire brigade had rolled up, extinguished the blaze and moved on.’
- ‘Staff called emergency services and the fire brigade took an hour to cut the woman free from the wreckage.’
- ‘The fire brigade spent half an hour freeing the man from under the car while paramedics battled in vain to keep him alive.’
- ‘She called for the fire brigade but managed to extinguish the blaze herself using pans of water.’
- ‘Five minutes after the road was reopened the fire brigade were called to tackle a blaze at a factory on the same estate.’
- ‘If you hear a smoke alarm going off or discover a fire, call the fire brigade immediately and get out as quickly as possible.’
- ‘The fire brigade believe the blaze had been started by smoking in bed.’
- ‘The fire brigade worked for at least two hours to extinguish the blaze and had to call on local people to help.’
- ‘Dozens of local residents rang the fire brigade as the inferno ripped through the offices and warehouse area.’
- ‘Police and the fire brigade were called in after the incident, which happened at about midday on Sunday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.