One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organized body of people trained and employed to extinguish fires.
- ‘The fire brigade believe the blaze had been started by smoking in bed.’
- ‘If you hear a smoke alarm going off or discover a fire, call the fire brigade immediately and get out as quickly as possible.’
- ‘The fire brigade spent half an hour freeing the man from under the car while paramedics battled in vain to keep him alive.’
- ‘I dread to think what could have happened if the fire brigade weren't here as quickly as they were.’
- ‘She called for the fire brigade but managed to extinguish the blaze herself using pans of water.’
- ‘Dozens of local residents rang the fire brigade as the inferno ripped through the offices and warehouse area.’
- ‘People in the building tried to extinguish the blaze but were beaten back and the fire brigade had to be called.’
- ‘A spokesman for the fire brigade said two firefighters attended the incident.’
- ‘Police and the fire brigade were called in after the incident, which happened at about midday on Sunday.’
- ‘After three or four minutes, we realised she would not open the door and we decided to call the fire brigade.’
- ‘Staff called emergency services and the fire brigade took an hour to cut the woman free from the wreckage.’
- ‘He immediately alerted the fire brigade, who were on the scene within minutes.’
- ‘Damage was minor but the fire brigade spent another 20 minutes making sure those fires were out.’
- ‘I told her to get away from the door quickly and call the fire brigade.’
- ‘Five minutes after the road was reopened the fire brigade were called to tackle a blaze at a factory on the same estate.’
- ‘Police and the fire brigade were called, and the fire brigade shored up the wall with four hydraulic jacks.’
- ‘In the owner's absence the fire brigade had rolled up, extinguished the blaze and moved on.’
- ‘While his wife phoned the fire brigade, Mr Nugent went inside to see if anyone was trapped but was soon beaten back.’
- ‘The fire brigade worked for at least two hours to extinguish the blaze and had to call on local people to help.’
- ‘The fire brigade is waiting for authorisation to connect to a water supply that is just yards from the new building.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.