A tropical American ant that has a painful and sometimes dangerous sting.
- ‘The chickens also have reduced the fire ant population by eating the bugs and seeds the ants would have sustained themselves on.’
- ‘The red fire ant, a native of southern Brazil, is a serious new pest which was first detected in Taiwan last year.’
- ‘Within 20 years of hitting U.S. soil, the red fire ant had entered 10 states, 200 counties - and 10 million socks.’
- ‘The fire ant has swept onto the American landscape with an ever-increasing impact.’
- ‘Some fire ant colonies have only a single queen, while others have many.’