One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical American ant that has a painful and sometimes dangerous sting.
Genus Solenopsis, family Formicidae: several species, in particular the South American S. invicta, which has become a serious pest in the southeastern US
- ‘The red fire ant, a native of southern Brazil, is a serious new pest which was first detected in Taiwan last year.’
- ‘The fire ant has swept onto the American landscape with an ever-increasing impact.’
- ‘Some fire ant colonies have only a single queen, while others have many.’
- ‘Within 20 years of hitting U.S. soil, the red fire ant had entered 10 states, 200 counties - and 10 million socks.’
- ‘The chickens also have reduced the fire ant population by eating the bugs and seeds the ants would have sustained themselves on.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.