Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tropical American ant that has a painful and sometimes dangerous sting.
- ‘Some fire ant colonies have only a single queen, while others have many.’
- ‘Within 20 years of hitting U.S. soil, the red fire ant had entered 10 states, 200 counties - and 10 million socks.’
- ‘The red fire ant, a native of southern Brazil, is a serious new pest which was first detected in Taiwan last year.’
- ‘The fire ant has swept onto the American landscape with an ever-increasing impact.’
- ‘The chickens also have reduced the fire ant population by eating the bugs and seeds the ants would have sustained themselves on.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.