One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device making a loud noise that gives warning of a fire.
- ‘The offending fire alarm was now completely detached from the wall.’
- ‘Hundreds of employees had to evacuate the School Place offices in Kirkwall on Thursday morning after a false fire alarm.’
- ‘He could feel the heat they generated and for a brief moment wondered how they hadn't set off the fire alarm.’
- ‘The first few people were leaving the building in response to the fire alarm.’
- ‘The fire brigade was called to the scene by the warden of the flats after the blaze triggered a fire alarm.’
- ‘The longer the silence continued, the more I wanted to pull the fire alarm and run for the nearest exit.’
- ‘Staff first became aware of the blaze after smelling smoke in the restaurant and told people they had to leave when a fire alarm was activated.’
- ‘He hadn't heard a fire alarm and was shocked to see the heavy smoke.’
- ‘This time the ringing noise wasn't the fire alarm, but the dinner bell.’
- ‘A single fire crew will be sent to incidents where an automatic fire alarm has gone off, rather than the three or more appliances currently sent.’
- ‘He was also seen by a guest on the second floor, where the false fire alarm had been activated, but claimed he had been patrolling elsewhere.’
- ‘The nearest fire department's response time to a fire alarm is at least 30 minutes.’
- ‘The cost of installing a fire alarm is in the region of £600, a small investment that could save a life.’
- ‘One girl bolted to the fire alarm and pulled it, setting the siren wailing and then sprinting for the door.’
- ‘That was when the idiots decided to test the fire alarm without the usual warning over the speakers.’
- ‘The fire alarm deploys a curtain covering the paintings, and then activates the sprinklers.’
- ‘The classic myth, as described above, is that people exit immediately when they hear a fire alarm.’
- ‘The fire alarm sounded at 12.33 am in the early hours of the Monday.’
- ‘Just a few weeks ago a fire alarm blew during one of my exams.’
- ‘Last May, seven people died in a stampede following a false fire alarm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.