Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a fabric) treated so as to be nonflammable.‘homes built with fire-resistant materials’
non-flammable, non-inflammable, flame-resistant, fire-resistant, flame-retardant, incombustible, uninflammable, unburnableView synonyms
- ‘Asbestos was once widely used for insulation and other applications because of its light, fine, fire-resistant fibers.’
- ‘Straw encased in an earthen shell makes for a cozy insulator, and studies show that it's more fire-resistant than timber.’
- ‘Other proactive options such as installing fire-resistant roofing should be investigated now.’
- ‘Flames burned straight through the outer covering, which should have been fire-resistant.’
- ‘Oxygen won't burn, but pressurized pure oxygen makes even fire-resistant material burn furiously.’
- ‘The roof is made of corrugated Corten steel - a contemporary, fire-resistant material that oxidizes to a rusty orange appearance.’
- ‘Prior to lighting the burner, ensure the stand is placed on a fire-resistant surface.’
- ‘By late Friday afternoon, the blaze raged toward a residential five-mile canyon as firefighters frantically sprayed fire-resistant gel on houses there.’
- ‘The company distributes water- and fire-resistant products to the construction industry in Florida and some parts of Alabama.’
- ‘The gold-colored shirts, trousers, and jackets were made of a special fire-resistant fabric.’
- ‘Homeowners should replace wooden siding and roofs with fire-resistant materials.’
- ‘As a naturally fire-resistant material, brick has been used for thousands of years in fireplace and fireplace hearth construction.’
- ‘Fire doors are specially manufactured doors with fire-resistant characteristics.’
- ‘Laminated safety glass or fire-resistant plastics are mandatory for the fire windows.’
- ‘The best precaution you can take in a fire-prone area is to make your roof fire-resistant.’
- ‘The store-room itself should aim to provide four-hour fire-resistant walls, ceiling, doors and windows.’
- ‘The kitchen's specially reinforced fire-resistant ceiling stopped the flames reaching the nine hotel rooms above.’
- ‘Make hard copies of files or records that are unique or irreplaceable, and protect them in an offsite, fire-resistant storage location.’
- ‘She also carries a backpack with a fire shelter (a fire-resistant tent) that she can unfold and crawl into in case of emergency.’
- ‘The cage is made of horizontal and vertical steel ribs that are covered by a flexible insulated skin of reinforced fibre plastic with special fire-resistant properties.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.