One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of a missile) able to guide itself to its target once fired.
- ‘The missiles that had been fired at the helicopter were state-of-the-art fire-and-forget missiles with multiple sensor systems.’
- ‘Equipped with an infra-red homing sensor for day and night operation, the fire-and-forget missile can destroy a tank four kilometers away by diving into the tank from the top which is vulnerable.’
- ‘The fire-and-forget principle underlies the development of all modern precision guided weapons today.’
- ‘The weapons are lightweight fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles and use electro-optical and fibre-optic technologies.’
- ‘Over-the-horizon warfare and fire-and-forget weapons concentrate information in the hands of military officials and make it much harder for the media to provide ‘ground truth.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.