One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of a missile) able to guide itself to its target once fired.
- ‘Equipped with an infra-red homing sensor for day and night operation, the fire-and-forget missile can destroy a tank four kilometers away by diving into the tank from the top which is vulnerable.’
- ‘The fire-and-forget principle underlies the development of all modern precision guided weapons today.’
- ‘Over-the-horizon warfare and fire-and-forget weapons concentrate information in the hands of military officials and make it much harder for the media to provide ‘ground truth.’’
- ‘The weapons are lightweight fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles and use electro-optical and fibre-optic technologies.’
- ‘The missiles that had been fired at the helicopter were state-of-the-art fire-and-forget missiles with multiple sensor systems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.